Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Preventing Utopia

Personally, I'm interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process. -- James Lileks



I haven't a clue who James Lileks actually is. I've never, to my recollections, heard of him before I read this tonight and he may be some kind of a monster, but this is a fantastic quote.
Struggle is what has defined everything. Without it, what would we have? What onus for evolution would there be? There would be great, bland, nothingness.

3 comments:

Hat said...

That, and every time we set up what we would like to be OUR Utopia, it's inevitably at the cost of others' lives and what not...

Steve Bodio said...

Lileks is a sane columnist at the Minneapolis Star- Trib. Also right on the subject.

Neutrino Cannon said...

Lileks is also the man responsible for the Gallery of Regrettable Food, and other projects intended to poke fun at pop-culture fragments from the Eisenhower era.

The man amuses me, I would say, about 60% of the time, which is a pretty good batting average.

I'm pretty sure that blue state high culture Brahmins are not allowed to think the man is funny, for some transient reason I chose not to remember.