Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Its The Tribes, Stupid"

For the readers out there with an interest in history, particularly military, if you've never read Steven Pressfield, you're missing out. I haven't read enough (apparently) of his work, but highly value his two novels I have read, Gates of Fire and The Legend of Bagger Vance (Not a golfer, at all, and I still appreciate this one greatly. A tactical-firearms instructor I much admire recommends it highly for similar reasons. I'd quote him but I cannot source it at present. I'm sure he recommends Gates highly as well, I've just never heard him do so, but he was a Marine, and it is on the Commandant of the Marine Corps reading list, so...).
Tonight, via Goodreads I discovered that Pressfield has a blog, "Its the Tribes, Stupid", focusing on conflict in Afghanistan both classically and currently.
It is excellent reading.
I've yet to watch the videos, as I am on abominable backwoods dial-up and couldn't hope of loading one to watch before tomorrow (sunrise = new day, not midnight, in my little world). I expect they are excellent though, and will watch them next time I am in town stealing wifi at the coffee shop. But the reading is great.
It is late, I am tired, and have been out of coffee for two days, and I'm still reading. This is a good thing. For only having been at it roughly a month, Pressfield has brought some great things to the table. I'm looking forward very much to seeing where he goes.

No comments: